Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Thanksblogging

Last night I saw a commercial for a vacuum cleaner with the song "At Last" playing in the background. I thought that was a bit dramatic.

A story from my family holidays:

Every year, we have Thanksgiving at my Uncle Mike's. Every year, Wesley comes. Wesley is my uncle's wife's brother's son. We are not blood related. He is 23 years old. We have spent 23 Thanksgivings together. We have never spoken to each other. I thought about speaking to him 3 years ago. But he was wearing a surgical mask because he was a germaphobe that year. Then I thought about talking to him 2 years ago, but I was too creeped out by him telling people about his 14 year old girlfriend that he had taken to the mexican restaurant the night before. He had just given her a camoflauge purse for her birthday because she loves camoflauge. He didn't seem too upset that this girl was his 3rd cousin. While he was telling this story, his mom got stuck on the couch and his tiny dad had to come try to lift her out of the cushions. Wesley and his mom (Sue) work at Wal-Mart. My mom and I go to Wal-Mart every year the day after Thanksgiving. Wesley has been our cashier several times. Neither, Wesley, my mom, nor I say anything to signify the fact that we just spent a holiday together. We act like we are complete strangers. Last year, Wesley's mom was our cashier. Everyone at Thanksgiving always calls her "Sue", but her Wal-Mart name tag says "Verna".

4 comments:

  1. This is a very peculiar tale. It reminds me of distant cousins of mine that would insist on asserting their status as my family members in the most embarrassing of circumstances. For a time, the family lived in a schoolbus, which led to the predictable nickname "Bus" for the female cousin. The male cousin was known as "Gingy" due to a very obvious case of gingavitis. A disturbing chapter of my childhood...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Umm since I love your blog so much, I'm giving you a stupid blog award passed along to me. Cause you're that awesome. he. he. Happy Graduation!!!!

    http://allthingsfabu.blogspot.com/2009/05/thank-you-justin.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that the bar is over, I think it is time for you to focus on more important things...like blogging.

    ReplyDelete