Thursday, February 12, 2009

I Would Follow You Into The Blogosphere...


You will always remember where you were the moment that they announced that the color "blue" won the M&M contest in 1995.

For more information on the subject, read this quote from an article that I found on the intranet:

I distinctly recall the color tan being part of the mix throughout my childhood, though I couldn’t remember exactly when it had been replaced by the vibrant and way too cool blue ones. Clearly I needed to mend this hole in my culinary memory. My wife, who is somewhat older than I, pleaded indifference, “I never paid attention to the colors”. Sacre bleu! (or blue, as the case may be) How can you not notice the color of your M&M’s? “And another thing,” my wife said to me as she crunched on a handful of M&M’s in bed, “you know how they say the chocolate doesn’t melt in your hand? Well, the candy coating does. It leaves colored spots all over your hands.” I hesitated to point out that I didn’t think many adults suffered that problem; I was after all getting into that bed with her, and wanted my fair share of the covers. I did tell her that the slogan in question, "The milk chocolate melts in your mouth—not in your hand"®, debuted in the initial TV advertising from 1954. After working a few more tidbits of M&M’s trivia into the conversation, she finally took the bait and asked why I had suddenly become so well versed in M&M’s lore. “I’m writing an article about M&M’s,” I explained. “What will your approach to this article be?” my wife inquired of me, in tones that suggested she considered my subject matter to be, shall we say, unique. “That blue M&M’s taste better.” Clearly this confirmed her suspicions that she had indeed married a lunatic, and she rolled over and went to sleep.


This begs the question of why is this couple's life, marriage, and conversation controlled by M&M's? Why is his man writing an article about M&M's? Why does the wife's older age mean that she is more indifferent to the color of M&M's? Why is the wife crunching on M&M's in bed? This leads me to believe that they keep M&M's on their nightstand. I imagine that their sheets have M&M coating spots all over them. Why did he take this article to a personal level by bringing the bedroom into play? He could have less creepily told this story without mentioning the words "bed", "covers", and "getting into that bed with her".


2 comments:

  1. i will never forget that day that blue became part of the pack. Similiarly I will not forget where I was when I saw Prince Charles marry Lady Camilla or when McDonald's first marketed the McRib sandwhich or when Dean Rahman called me to let me know i was accepted to Richmond or when Spice Girls had their first Platinum Album. Special moments in time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why in God's name are you posting at 6:21am?

    We were in 4th grade when they introduced blue M&Ms. I remember this because my class had a vote and then I, being the teacher's pet, got to go use the pay phone in the hallway to call in our vote. I don't think I ever got through though, it was always busy.

    ReplyDelete