Tuesday, February 24, 2009

If you can't beat them, Blog

I don't understand how anyone believes in cartography.

There is absolutely no way that anyone in the history of the world has traced what every single inch of this earth looks like. No one can be absolutely sure. For example, this cannot be an accurate drawing of the Chesapeake Bay Area.

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/historical/chesapeake_1812-1814.jpg

I believe that all maps are approximations of what generations of explorers and "cartographers" agreed on to make their job a bit easier. In other words, they cut corners. Literally. They cut corners of the continents when they were roaming around with their rulers and then guessed what these corners would look like. It is BS.

Not to change the subject, but someone alert the Bias Respose Team. My feminine doctor told me this morning that I should go to finishing school to get rid of my accent. Thanks. I thought that "finishing schools" only existed on the Gilmore Girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment