Friday, February 27, 2009

All The Blogging Ladies...

An embarrasing story of my teenage years:

This occured at 1st year orientation at UVA. I didn't know what "going out" meant. Somehow, I was the only girl in the entering class that didn't have a roommate for orientation. So, I went to all the daytime activities alone. Then I sat alone when we all sat around in a circle and did various ice breakers in our pajamas. At 10pm, I thought that everyone would just retreat to their rooms to read their course catalogs.

Then I started hearing everyone say that they were going to go to the "Corner" or "Rugby Road" and they changed out of their pajamas and into black pants and tube tops. I didn't know what to do. I wanted to meet people, but I didn't know what was going on. So I went out to the quad area in my pajamas with my course catalog. I did one of two things for the next 30 minutes- 1) Walk up to a group of people who were waiting to go out and ask them what courses they were taking, 2) Lay on my tummy in the dark and pretend to read my course catalog, and when people would walk by (or over) me, I would try to ask them what courses they were taking.

Everyone's reaction was the same- "Um, haven't decided yet" [snicker snicker snicker]

To be clear- I had known what courses I was going to take basically since I got accepted. I don't know why I was carrying the course catalog around.

1 comment:

  1. If I had been accepted by UVA instead of rejected and was born in 1984 instead of 1981, I would have discussed my course selections with you.

    ReplyDelete